Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2014

Persuade Me, Win Me

Unravel Me
By Tahereh Mafi

Earlier in the year, I reviewed the first book of this trilogy, Shatter Me. I was on the fence about reading this sequel. The first book did not capture me. I felt nothing for the characters. I liked the writing. Not the plot.

*spoilers from the first book*

Unravel Me starts exactly where we ended. Juliette just got a fancy “superhero” suit and feels, for the first time, like she's a part of something. She is accepted and loved, not feared and hated. The underground movement, Omega Point, is gearing up for a counter attack. Above ground, the Reestablishment is wreaking havoc on civilians in an attempt to find Omega Point. To top it all off, there's drama – SO MUCH DRAMA – between Juliette and her boring love interest, Adam.

Unexpectedly, I was hooked. I stayed up way too late to finish the story. It was more gripping, there were consequences, things were finally explained, characters were given more depth, and Juliette took action (some of the time).

Juliette's character does bother me. We are in her mind the whole time. The language is beautiful in her head. She cannot seem to emulate the flowery thoughts into her words. I wish she did.

The drama between her and Adam is ridiculous. It's exactly how teenage drama and miscommunication play out. However real it is, I tended to skim those parts...

The most captivating character is a tie between Kenji and Warner. I am hopeful there is more of these two in book three, Ignite Me. I will continue with the series, for these two. Most people are “Team Warner”. Kenji has my heart.

Overall, Tahereh Mafi you have converted me. I will finish the series.

4/5 STARS

Classroom: Nope. Too “girly”. Also, a little racey.

Cover comment: THIS cover is the reason why I picked up the series in the first place. Beautiful. Even the detail of the bird in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment