Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

After the Battle

The Returning
By Christine Hinwood

The story of what happens after a long war. Cam is young when he embarks off on, what he thinks, an adventure when he joins the rebellion against an invading Lord. When he returns, nothing is the same. No one trusts him, no one seems the same. He cannot be what he was.

A heartbreaking story of the complexities of war. The reader experiences many points of view - villagers, Cam, Cam's sister, his betrothed, and the Lord who started this mess. We experience a world where no one is exactly right, nor are they wrong.

Cam has seen many terrible things. He witnessed deaths, experienced cowardice, been a prisoner of the enemy, and has lost his arm. When he comes back, all he wants is to be part of the family again. His family wants to know what happen. He does not want to talk about it.

The language of this book, the way it is told, I found was difficult to get into. It's beautiful and subtle and takes a while for the mind to wrap around. I'm not sure I became fully invested because of it. The possibility for empathy is strong with this story. We see the toll that war takes, our hearts bleed, but I could not attach myself to any of the characters.

While an important look at what happens after, I'm not sure I liked this book. I can appreciate the writing and the topics is explores. Maybe it was not for me.

3/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment